Make room in your pocket by adding even more to your digital wallet. In addition to debit cards, credit cards, boarding passes, and transit cards, now your Apple device can even store your ID. Find out how to add your driver’s license or ID to your Apple Wallet.
Read more: Everything you need to know about Apple Pay
To add your driver’s license or ID to Apple Wallet, open the app on your iPhone, tap the plus sign, and select Driver’s License or State ID.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to add your driver’s license or ID to Apple Wallet
You can add your driver’s license or ID to Apple Wallet if you have iPhone 8 or later or an Apple Watch Series 4 or later. Your device must also be running the latest version of iOS or watchOS. Before you begin the process, make sure Face ID or Touch ID is enabled and that you have two-factor authentication turned on for your Apple ID.
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone and tap the + sign.
- Tap Driver’s License or State ID and choose your state. Not all states are eligible yet for this feature so if you do not see your state listed, you may have to wait. If you do see your state, select it and choose whether to add your ID to both your iPhone and Apple Watch or to just your iPhone.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to scan the front and back of your license or ID.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to capture your image with movement. You will need a plain background and a well-lit area.
- Once you have successfully captured the requested movements, send your information to your state’s issuing authority. If you receive a notification that your state issuing authority requires additional information, tap the notification to go visit their website and follow the directions listed.
Who can use this feature?
Kaitlyn Cimino / Android Authority
As mentioned above, you will need an iPhone 8 or later or an Apple Watch Series 4 or later to add your driver’s license or ID to your Apple Wallet. Additionally, the feature has not yet rolled out nationwide, and certainly not globally. The program began in a handful of states and will expand to other states and territories over time.
Read more: Everything you need to know about the Apple Watch
Your driver’s license or ID can only be associated with one Apple ID and one iPhone. You will need to remove it from your phone to add it to a new phone. You will also need to remove it from your Apple Watch before you can add it to a new iPhone.
To remove a driver’s license or ID from your Wallet, open the Wallet app on your iPhone and tap the card you wish to remove. Tap more, then scroll down and tap Remove This Driver’s License or Remove This State ID. Tap to confirm.