Marvel Entertainment has released its first, highly-anticipated trailer for Ms. Marvel, the latest MCU series heading to Disney Plus. We took a close look to offer a detailed Ms. Marvel trailer breakdown to fill you in on everything to expect from the new show.
Disney Plus bundle
What is Ms. Marvel about?
Kamala Khan (played by Iman Vellani) is a 16-year-old Pakistani-American girl living in Jersey City with her family. She’s a bookish kid, an avid gamer, a fan-fiction writer, and a die-hard Avengers fan — she especially looks up to Captain Marvel. She also struggles to fit in at home and at school.
Joining Vellani on the cast are Aramis Knight, Saagar Shaikh, Rish Shah, Zenobia Shroff, Mohan Kapur, Matt Lintz, Yasmeen Fletcher, Laith Naki, Azher Usman, Travina Springer, and Nimra Bucha.
The series is created by Bisha K. Ali, with episodes directed by Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, Meera Menon, and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.
Ms. Marvel trailer breakdown
The new trailer for Ms. Marvel gives us great insight into what to expect from the show, especially setting a charming, self-aware tone for this coming-of-age drama.
Check out: What’s new on Disney Plus this month?
Aside from getting a feel for Kamala as a person, we do get a few narrative beats that offer insight into what the show will be all about. Below is a Ms. Marvel trailer breakdown, with some of the details that jumped out at us.
- Ms. Marvel is a great stand-in for Marvel fans in the real world:
- We see her doodling Ant-Man parodies.
- She wears a T-shirt featuring Captain Marvel, The Wasp, and Kate Bishop, with the punny caption “Ladies, let’s get information.”
- She bikes around wearing a Captain Marvel bike helmet.
- She cosplays as her favorite hero.
- She also has very grounded problems, like homework, staving off boredom in class, figuring out her life with the help of a guidance counsellor, and cracking the secret to dating cute boys.
- Kamala is the MCU’s first Muslim hero, and her faith is clearly included in the show. We see her participating in group prayer at her Mosque in the trailer. This is also likely tied to her outsider status, as we see her correcting a classmate’s (seemingly repeated) mispronunciation of her name.
- Kamala’s power appears to come from a mysterious wrist amulet. The trailer doesn’t reveal the bracelet’s full nature, but in Marvel comics, Kamala’s powers come from mist that unlocks superpowered genes in her. So, the show is going its own route, it appears.
- Kamala’s powers also seem to depart from the comics. The comic book Ms. Marvel is a polymorph, changing size and morphing her body parts at will (think battering-ram hands on super flexible arms). In the trailer, she creates force fields and different matter around herself. She can build an enlarging force field around her hands, or walk on floating disks in the air, for example. We’ll have to see the full extent of her powers when the premiere drops.
- Ms. Marvel will be guided by mentors and hunted by adversaries, but it’s not entirely clear who’s who. We see what may be government agents emerging from cars, and a group of four mysterious figures stand shrouded in shadows. Are these characters we know from other Marvel shows and movies? Will they help Kamala or try to stop her?
When is Ms. Marvel coming out?
We’ve known for a while now that Ms. Marvel would debut in the summer of 2022, but the new trailer has narrowed that down.
Check out: The Disney Plus release schedule
You can expect the new MCU series to bow on June 8, 2022.
Where can I watch Ms. Marvel?
As with most other new Marvel streaming content, Ms. Marvel will stream exclusively on Disney Plus.
Iman Vellani is set to reprise the role of Kamala Kahn alongside Captain Marvel and WandaVision’s Monica Rambeau in the upcoming feature film The Marvels, which will hit theaters on February 17, 2023.
That’s what we know about the new show so far. We hope this Ms. Marvel trailer breakdown has been helpful. Stay tuned for more news and updates as we learn them ahead of the premiere in June.
If you’re not already a Disney Plus member, you can click the link below to sign up.