Robert Triggs / Android Authority
Google’s Pixel phones account for a tiny sliver of the global smartphone market, as the likes of Samsung, Apple, and Xiaomi account for the vast majority of shipments. It doesn’t help that the phones aren’t available in as many countries as the aforementioned players.
Nevertheless, we wondered how many people have actually seen a Pixel phone in the wild before (i.e. strangers using them). So we posed this question in a poll article earlier this week and here are the results.
Have you seen a Pixel in the wild before?
Just over 4,200 votes were counted as of writing, and it turns out that 66.5% of polled readers said they’ve seen a Pixel phone in the wild before. Readers in Australia, Nigeria, and the US said they saw strangers with one.
On the other hand, roughly a third of respondents said they’ve never seen a Pixel phone in the wild before. We expected this figure to be higher given Google’s tiny global market share in comparison to other brands. This is compounded by the fact that the firm’s phones aren’t officially available in Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, or some European countries.
- Biscuit_tin: I have one, but I’ve never seen another in my life. Most people I know haven’t even heard of Pixel. All I see is iPhones or Samsungs. The Samsungs are usually budget. I can’t believe how many people don’t even know what model phone they have.
- Joe Black: I am probably the only Pixel user I personally know 😀 Or can remember TBH, there are like no Pixel users around here, because Google does not care to start local distribution … I import my units out of Germany or UK.
- Garrit orious: I think I’ve seen more Pixel 6 Pros than any other Android phone for the past few months. Far more 6 Pros than regular 6s too. This is in Australia.
- Bill B: I have one, and have had people recognize it as a Pixel (esp my Pixel 6 Pro), but I have not seen any myself (other than those in my family who have one)
- Chandler Burns: I’ve occasionally seen people with Pixels dating all the way back to the OG model; the one I’ve seen in the wild the least is the Pixel 4/4XL. However, I’ve actually seen quite a few more people in the past year with Pixels, although most of them are part of the Pixel 4a, 4a 5G, and 5 family. I’ve only ever seen a couple of people in the wild with a Pixel 6, but none with a 6 Pro like I have.
- sao_paulo: I’m the only one in my family and friends to own a Pixel (3a XL). Saw a friend of a friend in a bar a couple months ago with a Pixel 6 Pro, he actually let me hold and use it as I told him I was weighing up a purchase.
- Radowing: I’ve never, ever seen anyone use a Pixel. Actually, I just realized that I’ve never seen a Pixel at all. Google store is not available in Greece. There are certain retailers that sell the phone but it’s double the price honestly. I tried ordering the Pixel 4a from a French store but, eventually, that didn’t work out either.
- Kent Seaton: I’ve seen several in the wild. And yes, complete strangers.
- Toby Madubueze: lots of pixel owners here in Nigeria..
- Jeff Namhie: I live in Los Angeles. I own a Pixel 5, and I have twice seen a complete stranger using a Pixel. One was a 3, and the other a 4XL. I’ve actually been looking for a 6 or 6 Pro in the wild, but haven’t seen one yet.